The West Anne Arundel County Chamber of Commerce is the primary business resource and advocate as the area experiences exponential growth.
We accomplish our mission through four core strategies:
Be the voice for the West County business community on issues impacting our area.
Provide information about member businesses to those who can use their services.
Keep our members up-to-date on area issues and trends.
Offer opportunities for members to meet and do business, as well as support community needs.
2013 Key Accomplishments
- Published business "tip sheets" with information about starting, markeeting and running a business, available free through the Chamber office.
- Created a new Odenton Town Center high-quality display highlighting projects that are under construction or already completed to overcome misperception that it will never be built.
- Provided more than 2 million web-based referrals to member businesses through the Chamber web site, with the top categories referred including banking services, restaurants, real estate developers, advertising and hotels.
- Worked with the Maryland Chamber to defeat increases in minimum wage, mandatory paid sick leave, sales tax on services and other bills that would hinder the competitiveness of Maryland companies.
- Collaborated with Anne Arundel Economic Development Corporation on a retail market study of the Odenton Town Center to determine the impact that surrounding development has on Odenton's retail potential.
- Continued to engage in activities on Fort Meade through our Military Affairs Committee and Fort Meade Community Covenant Council that introduce our business community to personnel and families at Fort Meade, including Armed Forces Field Day, Fourth of July Celebration, National Night Out and the Army-Navy Flag Football Tailgate Party.
- Transformed the Tour West County into the Tour and Taste West County and relocating it to Maryland Live! Casino's Rams Head Center Stage, allowing us to showcase local restaurants and caterers in an exciting, well-equipped venue.
Among the plans we have for 2014 are:
- Continuing to advocate for effective investment of transportation resources, less business regulation, quality workforce education programs and fair business taxation that allows Maryland businesses to compete regionally;
- Refreshing our web site to provide updated information about county growth and vitality;
- Developing cyber hints to help members better secure their workplace information systems, to be shared through electronic media and short seminars;
- Building on our existing networking events to ensure we offer our memebers the connections they need in the places they want to be, and continue to partner with other area organizations to expand our offerings.
For more information on the Chamber’s accomplishments on behalf of the area, view our Annual Report and Program of Work.