The West Anne Arundel County Chamber of Commerce is the primary business resource and advocate as the area experiences exponential growth.
We accomplish our mission through four core strategies:
Be the voice for the West County business community on issues impacting our area.
Provide information about member businesses to those who can use their services.
Keep our members up-to-date on area issues and trends.
Offer opportunities for members to meet and do business, as well as support community needs.
2014 Key Accomplishments
- Secured $40 million in state and federal transportation funding to widen Route 175 between Reece and Disney roads, a notorious bottleneck.
- Pushed for a concrete plan to build the county/state/private developer-led, transit-oriented development at the Odenton MARC Station.
- Encouraged a shift in spending of funds allocated by the Maryland Live! Casino Local Development Council to ensure they are targeted to new needs associated with growth in the area, not simply supplanting previous county spending.
- Provided recommended changes to the Odenton Town Center Master Plan to the Anne Arundel County Office of Planning and Zoning to clarify the plan's requirements and to minimize the number of developments requiring modification for acceptance.
- Launched the first West County Restaurant Week, which garnered significant media coverage and increased customers for our participating restaurants.
- Hosted our first Small Business Saturday Passport Program to encourage residents to "Shop Small" and patronize locally-owned businesses on the Saturday after Thanksgiving.
- Hosted the 2nd Annual State of the County Address with area businesses organizations and a debate between the candidates for county executive with the Anne Arundel Council of Chambers.
- Continued to engage in activities on Fort Meade through our Military Affairs Committee and Fort Meade Community Covenant Council that introduce our business community to personnel and families at Fort Meade, including Armed Forces Field Day, the 4th of July Celebration, National Night Out, Family Fun Fair and the Army-Navy Flag Football Tailgate, which this year attracted more than 600 people (mostly military families).
- Offered a session on "How to Promote Your Business at Fort Meade," to be repeated in March 2015.
Among the plans we have for 2015 are:
- Evaluate proposed changes to the Odenton Town Center Master Plan to ensure they are consistent with successful development practices and market conditions.
- Seek additional transportation funding for both roads and transit in support of the continued growth at Fort Meade, Arundel Mills, Odenton, and Gambrills.
- Expand both West County Restaurant Week and Small Business Saturday Passport Program to include more local businesses and encourage greater customer participation.
- Host entertaining economist Anirban Basu for a joint lunch with the Northern Anne Arundel Chamber.
- Start a young professionals program to groom future business and community leaders.
- Grow our Diversity Committee to provide support for minority owned businesses.
For more information on the Chamber’s accomplishments on behalf of the area, view our Annual Report and Program of Work.